Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Tribute To My Dad...

There are a lot of things that I could say about my Father. I could tell you all about the memories that I have from when I was a child or as I was growing up. I could tell you how much he influenced my life in ways that I'm still finding out about today. I could tell you how he forgave me for the times that I let him down and how he never reminded me of my mistakes just to make a point.

I could also tell you about how he tried his very best to lead by example and to instill in me the good old fashioned values he grew up with ...honesty, friendship, loyalty, duty and honor. I'm sure your Father did the same for you.

I have several very special memories of my Father. I can remember the strong handshake he gave me when I was getting on the bus to go to basic training at Lackland Air Force Base. It was the first time we shook hands as man to man.

I can remember what he said when I asked him to be the best man at my wedding. "Son, your best friend is supposed to be the best man." I answered "But Dad, you are my best friend!". He just looked at me for a minute, then got up and left the room. I only found out later that the reason he left was that he didn't want me to see him cry. He was indeed the best man at my wedding!

I can also remember the pride that shown in his face when he found out that I was naming my first born son after him. The only thing he asked was that his name sake never be called Junior.

Even though my Father died young, I am proud to have known him. I am proud to have had the opportunity to shake his hand and proud to have called him my friend. I only wish I had told him that I loved him one more time before he died, but somehow I think he knows. I hope so.

So let's have a cup of coffee and toast my Dad and all the Fathers out there...
Happy Fathers' Day!


5 comments:

blondie said...

That is a beautiful post Jim.
I'm sure your Dad was a wonderful man and I'm sure he knows how much you loved him...even if we don't say it often enough.
Hope you have a nice Father's Day yourself. You're a very special person in my book!
Thinking of you,
blondie

HermitJim said...

Hey Blondie...thanks for dropping by this morning! I appreciate the comments also. Hope you rested well last night and that Lou Dog didn't get you up too early!

See ya around later...! Thanks again, my friend!

Jim

Cat Melton said...

Jim,
I hope you are having a wonderful day. You deserve it...you are a fine example of a true gentleman. Seeing the tribute you made to your father just reinforces that for me.

Cat

Anonymous said...

OK you got me! I'm sitting here at work blubbering!
Thanks for that! Grat pics, and some I don't have! Maybe a visit next weekend to re-connect?
I love you, Bubba!

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...I'll be glad to share any of these pics with you if you don't have them, providing of course that you bring fresh cookies when you come over!! Glad you enjoyed the post!

Bubba