Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Little Kitty Story...

I wanted to take a little break from the discussion on colors to tell you a cute story about one of the Roomies. I don't normally share these little stories, but this one was so unusual I just had to share it.

Monday I was getting ready for an appointment at the V.A. Hospital for a blood test. After trimming my beard a bit I splashed on a little Old Spice. (I know...it's old fashioned stuff but I like it). Sitting at my desk finishing my coffee, I was suddenly the recipient of a lap visit by Smokey, one of the roomies. After going through the normal hugs and rubbing that they do, he suddenly stopped dead in the middle of a rub and began sniffing at my hand and arm. He head butted my hand and arm several times, rubbed both vigorously and then gave me several love bites. Head-butt, rubs and bites went on for several minutes. Then he looked up at me...right in the eye.

Those of you have seen Siamese know how they can be, and usually are, quite crossed-eyed. When he looked up at me with those crossed blue eyes, his tongue half hanging out the side of his mouth, and with what passes for a smile on a cat's face it was so comical I just started laughing. Every time I looked at him, I started laughing again. I guess it was something in the aftershave that made Smokey a little giddy, because he just kept looking up and grinning at me. Of course, the more he grinned the more I laughed.

Finally, when my sides stopped hurting enough I put Smokey down on the floor, where he just stood for a second or two like he was in a trance. Suddenly, he snapped out of it and slowly walked away, glancing back at me to see what I was laughing about.

I just thought to myself "What a perfect way to start the day! A good laugh with a friend, a fresh cup of coffee, and a memory to keep a smile on my face all day long!" I just wanted to share that, my friends. Want me to freshen your cup?

13 comments:

Cat Melton said...

I can see it so clearly, having cats of my own, Jim. And I'm smiling right along with ya as I write this.

Sometimes I wonder just what it is that makes my cats 'tick'...they can be so funny when I apply my human logic to their actions.

I hope you are having a wonderful day,
Cat

Anonymous said...

I, too, am smiling. I have been thinking seriously about getting me a cat. This mornings story reinforces the feelings a little.
Love Ya!
Big Sis

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...thanks for stopping by. Cats can be so entertaining even when they don't mean to be...something is always worth a smile when watching them. They probably think the same thing about us.

Hey B...good to see ya! Wish you were going to be here this weekend. Never is quite the same without you here at a get together.

Besides, I miss all your good dips and stuff.

Thanks for stopping by, Ladies...I appreciate it.

Lydia said...

Made me smile too. What a cute story, and you're right, a great way to start the day. I don't have cats but have two dogs. The old(er) one smiles! He is so big that people become afraid when he does it. They think he is showing his teeth, but he is just smiling because he becomes SO happy.

Old Spice smells like comfort to me. :)

HermitJim said...

Hey Lydia...thanks so much for stopping by. I often think that what pet owners can percieve about the smiles presented by their pets is picked up mentally as much as from sight. I look at my cats and they look back at me...and something passes between us. Don't know what it is, but no one but the cats and I are aware of it. Strange...? Not to me, but I'm an old country boy so animal communications is just something I accept.

I enjoyed reading your blog, and hope you will come by again!

Jim

Lydia said...

Hi Jim,

No, not strange at all. It's a wonderful way to explain it. Like you and your roomies, my dog..now dog(s) and I, always seem to understand each other.(except the new one who is still pretty dopey)

Thanks for the compliment and for the invite. I have enjoyed your blog also. You seem to be an early riser like me, so you are almost always responsible for a smile on my face to start my day.

Lydia

Manu said...

Hi Jim...what else can i say but tag along by saying it made me smile too. Definitly one of the best ways to start your day with.

Manu

HermitJim said...

Hey Manu...glad you could stop by and that you enjoyed the story. The two roomies are a constant source of amusement, I have to say.

Of course, they probably think the same about me!

Thanks again...

blondie said...

That was a great story Jim!
Sorry I'm so late posting.
I wonder if that Old Spice has alcohol in it? Would make me giddy too, LOL
Cya soon,
blondie :))

HermitJim said...

Hey Blondie...probably cause it says on the bottle "flammable"! That usually means achohol...but NOT the drinking kind!! Whatever it was...he likes the smell!

Now if it would work on the ladies like that!

Jim

js said...

I once had a therapist come vist us at our condo... and at that time I had my siamese cat with me, Taipan.

Well the therapist was able to access the Astral plane quite easily and saw that Taipan quite loved me.

That was quite revealing and nice.

Animals to love humans.. well, not all humans. haha!

johnski

js said...

correction: Animals do love humans. And it is quite evident on the Astral plane, which is the plane of feeling for us. Feeling. Most of us men are not receptive to that. You know? But we have feeling bodies. And that is at the level of the Astral, the heart, ok? OK. I will say no more.

js

HermitJim said...

Hey John...thanks for the visit and for the comments. I have always felt that there is a connection between animals and their human partners. Notice I didn't say "owners" because I don't feel that we can ever "own" another living vreature. At best, we are guardians and friends...and in my case, Roomies!

Thanks again...