Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Count Today As A Success...!!

Decided to try a bit of canning today!

I've been putting off doing this for a long time, but decided today would be a good time to can some butter. I love butter...could eat it on just about anything and everything. I do just that when given the chance. One thing I hate though, is to run out of butter when I need it for something important. You know, something like fresh homemade bread! Or maybe some fresh baked cake, hot out of the oven. Better yet, butter to spread on a pan of oven fresh gingerbread!

Cornbread isn't the same to me without some butter on it. Nor mashed potatoes, steaming hot veggies like corn or green beans or sweet potatoes or...well, you get the idea.

I had researched the canned butter available on the market today. Even bought some and tried it to make sure I liked it before investing in a case. It's not bad and it stays fresh enough, but it is really overpriced for the amount it is ( most cans are 12 ounces) and I didn't see the point in spending $4.95 a can for something I could make myself.

Going to the closest food store, I bought two pounds of butter at $1.99 each, higher than usual, but so is everything else lately. Keep in mind, this was just a trial run cause I like to test everything. After getting back home, I dug up the recipe and while carefully following the simple directions (yes, some of us men DO read and follow directions!) I proceeded to can both pounds of butter. Each pound does a little more than a pint canning jar, so now I have three pint jars of beautiful, golden butter with a shelf life of three to five years at a cost far below the canned butter.

If I watch the sales, I can get the butter on sale and save even more. The brand doesn't matter, as any brand will do. I love it when things go right for a change!

Life in the boonies is looking better and better with fresh baked bread, honey and butter, or cake in a jar and butter, making the perfect breakfast companion to go along with some fresh coffee!

Want to help me practise, my friend?

15 comments:

Cat Melton said...

I have to admit, I have never heard of canning butter before. And that is one of those things you would really miss and want to have should you not have a supply of fresh.

Very good and interesting info, as always, my friend!

We've got some snow on the ground today, but it's supposed to rain by the weekend...so I'm gonna enjoy it while I got it...lol.

Cat
;)

HermitJim said...

Hey Cat...canning butter is so easy and really a lot of fun! Plus knowing that I have a supply set up just in case is a nice thought, ya know?

Thanks for stopping by, Smiley!

mmpaints said...

Good morning Hermit, I just read some good directions on this very thing just a few days ago. I wonder if it will work with home made butter? I'm gonna try some store bought butter this weekend, hope mine goes as good as yours did!

HermitJim said...

Hey MMPaints...sure do apprecite you dropping by this morning! I don't see why it would work with homemade...

I was smiling like I had a secret when the butter turned out. Must be my age, but it sure doesn't take much to please me anymore!

Enjoyed your blog, BTW.

debbieo said...

I canned 12 pints of butter last week. I have not tried it yet, but like you I was excited that it could be done.

debbieo said...

I should rephrase that to I have not eaten any yet.

HermitJim said...

Hey Debbieo...glad you could drop by. Don't you just love it when something turns out good with no unpleasant surprises? Like you, I haven't eaten any of mine yet, but have to admit I've been tempted...

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it...

The Scavenger said...

Jim, good for you man on canning up some butter. We canned some a month or two ago and it is great. I love the way it stays nice 'n soft. Guys can can too...

Chris

HermitJim said...

Hey Chris...sure am glad you could come by. You know, it's the little things in life I think we would miss the most if something happened. For me, it's butter on my bread, sugar in my coffee...that sort of thing.

A little comfort goes a long way during hard times, I'm tinking.

js said...

Hey Jim, js here with my tail between my legs, haha!

Ok, sounds interesting.

Would you please publish the steps? The formula? As in... how to do it?

Thanks Jim.

js

Mayberry said...

Yeah buddy! After I get my seed for storage, canning goodies are next on my list....

Lydia said...

Wow Jim, I live in the boonies and have never heard of canning butter. Does it taste like the real thing?

I like how you snuck this in: (yes, some of us men DO read and follow directions!)

lol...very few I bet ;)

Thanks Jim, you are a wealth of information!

lydia

HermitJim said...

Hey John...I sent you the steps for canning butter. you'll see it is a simple process...so simple even a Hermit can do it.

Thanks for dropping by.


Hey Mayberry...lots of fun and even practical too...sort of like fishing, ya know?

Thanks for the visit.


Hey Lydia...sure do appreciate you dropping by. You just never know what good little tidbits you'll find when you get around me, huh? You ought to try it! It's pretty good and the taste is just like whatever butter you melted...cause that's all it is. Melted butter with nothing else! Doesn't change the taste a bit!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Hey hermit!

amazing the response on this post, eh? seems the stomach may be the way to more than just a man's heart!ha!
(even us men who read...) :\
Can't wait to taste it; maybe on some of that canned cake?!?
more later...

Cygnus

HermitJim said...

Hey Cygnus...it does seem to call out from the jar to be tasted, but I'll force myself to wait. And you're right, this time of year seems like a lot of people think about food.


Have a good day...