Thursday, February 19, 2009

You Won't Believe This One...!

Now before I go any further, let me just say here and now that I have NEVER tried this recipe, so I have no idea of how it taste.

It just seemed to be so in keeping with our quest to make good use of some of our preps using original recipes...that I thought it should be posted. It's definitely a unique use of Spam, probably the most unique that I've seen, and that alone should make it worth a try. So...open your mind, try not to smile, and see what you think about this old recipe for...

SPAM PIE

1 Cup flour
2 small packages of cream cheese
1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
1 can of Spam
Garlic salt

Mix flour, cream cheese, and softened margarine together until well blended. Roll out the dough on waxed paper until it is 1/4TH inch thick. Then, using a floured cookie cutter, cut out the desired shapes.


Grate the Spam and season it well with garlic salt. Blend it until the garlic salt is evenly mixed in.

Taking one of the dough cutouts, spread the Spam and garlic mixture evenly. Then top with another dough cutout, and seal the edges with a dampened fork or similar utensil.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve hot.

Now...as you know, I like Spam. I have eaten Spam just about every way it can be fixed. That is, I thought I had! This recipe is a new one on me...!

What I would like is for one of you excellent cooks out there to make this and let me know just how it turns out! If it gets your "Seal of Approval", then I'll add it to my soon-to-be-famous Hermit's Cook Book! (or not!)

While you are deciding whether or not to take on this challenge, I'll get us another cup of fresh coffee...OK, my friend?

17 comments:

Ken said...

...hmmmm...that sounds...different !?

...i'll try it,if you try it...

Anonymous said...

Hwy Hermit! If you do a search on my blog, you will find chefs recipes for spam being served in some top restaurants!
Ive tried 2, and they were delicious! Especially the spam carbonara...give it a go lol

Anonymous said...

Bubba - Have you tried Spam soup? Rod loves it, especially with the (semi)new Tabasco Spam. If you need it, I can give you the recipe....I'm just glad that now there is turkey Spam. I've always loved the flavor, but being allergic to pork......

Maitreya said...

I'm not sure I would add garlic salt to spam, it's already pretty salty. Maybe garlic powder or Tobasco. Thyme might be good too. I'll try it and report back if I get time...

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...That sounds like a winner to me! I'm gonna fix some tomorrow...and I'll let you know. I might even see if I can come up with some pics!

Thanks for the visit...


Hey Molly...I would have never figured you for a spam eater! I'll go and check those recipes out...thanks for the heads up, girl!

Oh, and thanks for the visit as well!


Hey Sis...haven't tried that one. If you could send me the recipe, I'll post it here and make some for tasting! Thanks for the info...Love ya, Sis. Thanks for coming by!


Hey Maitreya...I appreciate the visit and I'm thinking that the garlic might cancel out some of the salty taste. I'll just have to mix some up and experiment. I make spam salad all the time with dill relesh, onion, mayo...I love it!

Just let me know...Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just recently tried this Shredded Spam BBQ;

Shred the Spam with a cheese grater, fry it up to your preferred level of "doneness". Take your preferred BBQ sauce and let the Spam cook in it for a few minutes and then slap it on a hamburger bun with some 'slaw.

I used KC Masterpiece as the BBQ base then added pickle juice, vinegar, Tabasco, pepper and mustard. It was delicious and similar in taste to the Georgia BBQ my wife and I both miss.

-Thales

scoutinlife said...

Thanks for the receipe Hermit!

Angela said...

Sorry, I'll have to pass on this one. Spam doesn't fall into any of my food groups--can't stand the stuff! :) You go ahead and give it a try for me and let me know if it still tastes like spam.

HermitJim said...

Hey Thales...sure am glad you sent me this recipe! It sounds delicious...I'm gonna try it!

Thanks for the visit, my friend!


Hey Scout...always a pleasure to see you, brother! Look at the recipe sent to us by Thales above...sounds pretty good!


Hey Angela...c'mon! Where is your sense of adventure? Try it...who knows, you might find you like it!

Hey, thanks for coming by...I appreciate it.

It's me said...

Peeking in from sunny (when it's not raining) vacation-land to say "YAY SPAM!!!!!" Loved it as a kid... still do.

Peace to you!!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Meadowlark...I just KNOW you are enjoying the vacation! Enjoy all that sunshine while you can, my friend!

I appreciate you taking valuable vacation time to visit...have fun!

It's me said...

Hermit, it's not really THAT nice of me. He's in a meeting ;) so I'm visiting with 'friends'.

js said...

Thanks for that recipe Jim!

Am buying more and more SPAM and KAM and alternatives. Just stocking up.

Just in case. You know? Soon, we may have to eat it out of the can, never mind all that baking that requires electricity or gas.

js

js said...

One more comment....

Am not one for recipes, especially in the coming times when many of those ingredients will be hard to find.

Am an expert at taking what I DO have in my pantry, and mixing it just right and it usually works out.

So we should all become more adept at this kind of strategy, no?

js

HermitJim said...

Hey John...that's all that preppers are all about! Socking up the pantry with usable food with a long shelf life, having a good selection of food and water in abundance so the selection of pantry items makes the choice of "making do" a little more pleasant.

Most preppers just take it a step further by stocking up on things like extra fuel, alternate cooking means, extra batteries, means of lighting, blankets, soap, shampoo, emergency supplies for the car in case you have to leave in a hurry...all of the everyday items you would have, but extras for any of the "Just in case" scenarios that might come up.

It's a lifestyle more than a hobby, and it could be a lyfestyle that could some day save your life!

Thanks for coming by!

The Scavenger said...

If it's got spam, I in man. I love spam. Like Ken said, you go first. lol


Chris

HermitJim said...

Hey Chris...I'm like you. I really like spam...all kinds of ways.

Guess we must be good ole country boys, huh?

Hey, thanks for stopping by!