Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Story Time Tuesday...!

Today, I am going to share a little story with you....

A man is driving down the road and breaks down near a monastery. He goes to the monastery, knocks on the door, and says, "My car broke down. Do you think I could stay the night?"

The monks graciously accept him, feed him dinner, and even fix his car. As the man tries to fall asleep, he hears a strange sound; a sound like no other that he has ever heard.

The next morning, he asks the monks what the sound was, but they say," We can't tell you. You're not a monk. "

The man is disappointed but thanks them anyway and goes about his merry way.

Some years later, the same man breaks down in front of the same monastery. The monks again accept him, feed him, and even fix his car.

That night, he hears the same strange mesmerizing sound that he had heard years earlier.

The next morning, he again asks what the sound was, but the monks reply, "We can't tell you. You're not a monk. "

The man says," All right, all right! I'm dying to know! If the only way I can find out what that sound was, is to become a monk, then so be it! How do I become a monk? "

The monks reply," you must travel the earth and tell us how many blades of grass there are and count the exact number of sand pebbles. When you find these numbers, you will become a monk."

The man sets about his task. Some forty-five years later, he returns and knocks on the door of the monastery.

He says, "I have traveled the earth and devoted my life to the task demanded and have found what you had asked for. There are 371,145,236,284,232 blades of grass and 231,281,219,999,129,382 sand pebbles on the earth. "

The monks reply," Congratulations, you are correct and now you are a monk! We shall now show you the way to the sound. "

The monks lead the man to a wooden door, where the head monk says," the sound is behind that door. "

The man reaches for the knob, but the door is locked. He asks," May I have the key? " The monks give him the key, and he opens the door.

Behind the wooden door is another door made of stone. The man requests the key to the stone door.

The monks give him the key, and he opens it, only to find a door made of ruby. He demands another key from the monks, who provide it.

Behind that door is another door, this one made of sapphire. And so it went until the man had gone through doors of emerald,... silver, topaz, and amethyst.

Finally, the monks say," This is the key to the last door."

The man is relieved to no end. He unlocks the door, turns the knob, and behind that door he is astonished to find the source of that strange sound. It is truly an amazing and unbelievable sight !



But I can't tell you what it is because you're not a monk!



Now, don't hate me...don't hate me! Just having a little bit of fun with ya this morning!

C'mon, let me make it up to ya! I'll get you a hot, fresh cup of coffee! OK, my friend?

26 comments:

wendigo said...

Damn Monks!

Anonymous said...

Monk-ey business.

Anonymous said...

ok, you got me! Love DIMW's comment (just wish I had thought of it!).

Anonymous said...

Good morning HJ,
Good one on all of us, at least you didn't tell us to count the blades of grass or and sand. to find out. hehe
Now lets have a cup and enjoy the day.
JoJo

HermitJim said...

Hey Wendigo...good to see ya this morning. I'm really glad you could drop by!


Hey Tony...that's pretty good, friend! You're pretty sharp today! Thanks for stopping by!


Hey Sis...good to see ya today! I'll make it up to ya somehow...someday! (maybe) Thanks for the visit!


Hey JoJo...did you get the trailer home ok? When are you going to try it out? Hey, thanks for coming by today!

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Excellent HJ...good thing you didn't make us count, I would have gotten distracted by a shiny object at some point in the travels and forgotten that I was supposed to be counting!

Top off the cup, would ya? Thanks a ton my friend!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Momma...good to see you this morning! I wouldn't make you count anything...and I know what you mean by being distracted by some shiny object!

I have an excellent memory, but it's not very long!

Thanks for coming by!

Sarah said...

Ya had me all the way to the end!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Sarah...don't you just HATE when folks do that?

Sorry, Dear...I'll try and behave from now on! (notice I said "try")

Thanks for the visit!

Anonymous said...

HJ,
"I have traveled the earth and devoted my life to the task demanded and have found what you had asked for. There are 371,145,236,284,232 blades of grass and 231,281,219,999,129,382 sand pebbles on the earth. " Since I am a Monk now what is the Sound?
George in Texas.

HermitJim said...

Hey George...don't know! I never made it that far...but when you find out, let me know, OK?

I appreciate you coming by today!

Lydia said...

Grrrrrrr! I couldn't wait, and even skipped down to the end to see what the noise was.

We deserve some coffee after that one Jim.

:)
lydia

HermitJim said...

Hey Lydia...see what happens when you skip to the end? Thought you would appreciate that one this morning!

Thanks for the visit, my smiling friend!

Rod said...

Ok you made me laugh with that one
Should of know with you!
Sure you didn't just forget the punch line?

Rod

HermitJim said...

Hey there Rod...good to see you! Well, to tell you the truth, with my memory I just may have forgotten the punch line!

Glad I could give you a little smile today...and glad to have you drop by!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
Yes I did bring home the camper last week, and will take it out on thurs. to a campground about 3mls from here. Hope the weather stays cool. Thanks for asking. I will take some pics. and send them to you.
JoJo

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...that's great that you got it home! Looking forward to the pics of the trip...

Angelena said...

Good One!!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Angelena...glad you liked it and I appreciate the visit!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Ye Bass Turd, You!

:D

HermitJim said...

Gotcha, huh?... You gotta watch out for the old guys!

Ken said...

...you shouldn't do that to friends...

...de-caf for me...its late...

...funnyshitfersure tho...

...lol...thanx Jim...

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...sorry, I'm a baaaad boy! Just couldn't resist...

Hey man, I really appreciate you dropping by tonight!

Maggy said...

HermitJim, thanks so much for the laugh! I totally fell for it!

HermitJim said...

Hey Maggy...glad for the chance to make you smile a bit!

I really thank you for taking the time to drop in and visit!

Unknown said...

Don't really hate it when one does this to me but I was waitin' for the answer,too. You will never behave and I,for one, would worry if u did!