Friday, November 27, 2009

In My Day, We Called It "Wrapping"...!


It was all in fun, hurt no one, and gave us a true rush just to know that we could get caught at any moment!

No guns, no fighting, no damage done to property (other than making a really big mess), and often we would show up the next day and help to clean up!

Even though we thought ourselves beyond brave and owners of big, brass ones...I doubt if we ever had the gumption these guys must have!

Colorado governor's lawn draped in toilet paper

© 2009 The Associated Press
Nov. 26, 2009, 3:31PM


DENVER — It wasn't fresh mountain snow but toilet paper that blanketed the front lawn of the Colorado governor's mansion Thanksgiving morning.

Gov. Bill Ritter told KUSA-TV that he and his wife noticed shortly after dawn Thursday that someone had "teepeed" the front lawn.

State officials said it was the first time that happened to the 101-year-old landmark.

Ritter joked about it, saying he has teenage children at home and that it was probably a prank. First Lady Jeannie Ritter said she would be worried if the house had been egged or damaged but the toilet paper prank is harmless.

The 1908 Georgian revival home is near the state Capitol in Denver.


It's really nice to see that kids can still prove their bravado and count coup without shooting, stabbing, or being destructive. Not a bad way to show that ANYONE can be touched, if the conditions are right!

Best thing? The governor and hi wife are laughing about it! I wonder if that could be because they don't have to clean it up themselves!

After all, being the Top Dog in the state does have it's perks!

My friends, let's get some coffee and sit outside for a bit. Leftover pie is available...but I'm still full! How about you?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Hermit;

Seems the more things change the more they stay the same. Some traditions go on forever. Never did it on Turkey Day. Maybe somebody thinks he's a Turkey?

Pie for breakfast is good.

Range day.

See Ya

Rae said...

I bet it was even more fun for the pranksters while they were doing it. It was a good kind of fun with no one getting hurt. You are right. Too bad we don't see more of this kind rather than the violent kind. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving day.

vlad said...

It's 40F out here. Reminds me of the
morning I came along on my bicycle and a lady shrilled at me, "It's too
cold to ride a bicycle." I told her that weather is something you dress for.

JoJo said...

LOL Good story. Hope they had fun, and yes that was fun as a kid. But I was a good kid. hehehe I remember using chalk on the old lady next doors side walk and cement wall she was a real crab. I didn't get away with it and my dad made me scrub it all clean, while he sat there and watched.
Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.
Coffee and pie? maybe the coffee don't know about the pie.

Momlady said...

I've had my porch and pickup truck "wrapped" by friends while I was away. I told them it was nice to know I'm loved. I even saw pictures of the "villains". Seems they'd been out to dinner and had consumed a pitcher of margaritas. I haven't been able to come up with an idea to reciprocate, but some day....moooowaaahhhaaahaaaa.
If you have any apple pie and perhaps a slice of cheddar cheese to go with, I'd love to join you for coffee and pie.

HermitJim said...

Hey Tony...
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving day! i know you'll have a good time on the range, for sure!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by!


Hey Rae...
Now this is the kind of fun that I'd like to see more news reports on, ya know?

Maybe more will see that violent actions aren't necessary to have a good time!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Vlad...
I would think the bike riding would keep you warm!

Thanks for the visit today, buddy!


Hey JoJo...
Yep...! One of the worse things about doing the chalk or the T.P. is knowing you might get caught at any time!

Still, it was a lot of fun!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!

HermitJim said...

Hey MomLady...
I'll just bet we can find some apple pie and cheddar somewhere around here!

I know there is some chocolate cake and pumpkin pie at mom's house...I might have to go borrow some!

Hey, thanks so much for coming by today!

Kyddryn said...

Good mornin', Mister Hermit, sir!

I remember in high school, the kids would "roll" the houses of unpopular students. I was constantly worried someone would get our house, but luckily we had a rather steep driveway and no one cared to climb it. Whew!

I do hope the scalawags used recycled, biodegradable paper, at least!

Shade and Sweetwater,
K (who is glad to see that no everyone has lost there sense of humor these days)

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
In my day, it was the popular kids that got wrapped! And friends, and girls...on and on!

Kinda fun, too! Sure was a waste of good t.p., though!

Thanks so much for stopping by today, my friend!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

:-)
I think it´s ok since it´s so harmless. It´s a bit strange, we have heard about this kind of prank all our lives from stories from the US, but I have never heard that it has happened over here.
I hope Your Thanksgiving was great!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
If you want to see what a "teepeed house" looks like, there are pictures on Google!

Lots of paper to pick up!

Thanks for the visit!

Survival Chic said...

Hello, would love a link? Any possiblity we could exchange?

Survival Chic

www.survivalist.zzn.com/blog/survivalthoughts

thanks...!

Tatersmama said...

Harmless fun... and it's good to see that kids can still have fun without anyone getting hurt!
We once moved someones outhouse, and never got caught... but we felt so guilty about it, that we went back the next night and put it back where it came from!
THAT'S when we got caught! LOL!

HermitJim said...

Hey Tatersmama...
Everybody eventually gets caught at least once, I think! Sort of a part of thewhole process...and the fun!

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

Kyddryn said...

Hey, Mister Hermit, sir - I just wanted to pop in and apologize for the typos in my comment up there - this is what happens when I type distracted.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K (who DOESN'T have an Evil Genius climbing on her while she types, this time)

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
Even thoughI don't have an EG around to distract me, I do have a couple of furry roomies! So, I completely understand...!

Thanks for coming by, darlin'