Friday, November 6, 2009

Now This Just Takes The Cake...!


Actually, I guess that I should have said that "This is the cake!"

Yesterday was my mom's monthly sewing circle group. The ladies all come over, visit and swap tales for a while, and sometimes they actually get some sewing done! They all bring something for lunch, and all the group sits around and has a nice visit!

I usually go over and help the ladies get their stuff out of the cars, hold the door for them since some of them are on walkers, and talk to them a bit before they get started doing their thing!

One of my Mom's friends asked me if I would give her a review on a new cake recipe she had tried. I get a LOT of request like that, because all the ladies know how much I like food...especially cakes. This one just happened to be chocolate! I liked it already, and I haven't even tasted it yet!

"It's a healthy recipe", she said..."and it has no oil, or egg, or water, or milk!"

I was a bit sceptical, but I tried it and WOW...it was really good! Moist and very good! The beauty of this cake is how easy it would be to make during a storm, or as a comfort food made just out of our preps! Ready for this?

1. One chocolate cake mix
2. one can of pumpkin

Mix together and bake per instructions! How easy is that? No water, no eggs, no oil...now THAT is easy!

I have been taste testing this cake since before they had lunch yesterday...and in fact, she left me half of it when she went home! Very, very good!

Something like this could be made with pumpkins grown at home, I'm thinking! You don't taste the pumpkin at all! In fact, it taste like any other great tasting chocolate cake I've had! You really ought to try this one...and if you don't like it, then just send it to me and I'll finish it off for you!

Now, my friends, let's get some coffee and sit outside...I'll get you a piece of cake! That is...if there's any left!

21 comments:

Sage said...

That sounds novel...but interesting
xx

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the info, I wonder if pumpkins grow in a desert enviroment?

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One,
Now that sounds goooooooood. Always looking for something chocolate that doesn't have all that fattening stuff in it.
OGT There is a huge pumkin patch about 5 miles down the road from me. They have a festival every year a few weeks before holloween. I live in Tucson. Hey rides and the kids get to pick the pumpkins.
Now lets have some coffee before I have to run. I hope you saved me a piece of that cake my friend.

Anonymous said...

This one I will try. Sounds so easy maybe even I can do it. Chocolate and pumpkin seem to go together.

See ya

Angelena said...

That sounds like an excellent food storage recipe. I am going to put that one in my food storage notebook to try! Thanks Jim!

Kyddryn said...

Hmm...I have pumpkin puree in my freezer, just made it this fall. Hmm...

Thanks for the recipe, Mister Hermit, sir...I'll have to give it a whirl sometime...when I'm not the only one going to eat it, that is.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

HermitJim said...

Hey Sage...
It actually taste better than it sounds! I was pleasantly surprised!

Hey, thanks for coming by!


Hey OGT...
JoJo, who lives in Tucson, says that they have a pumpkin patch just down the road from her! So I guess that they will do OK...

Thanks for coming by, buddy!


Hey JoJo...
I passed on the info to OGT about the pumpkins. Thanks for answering his question for me, cause I had no idea if they would grow or not!

Hope you get a chance to go camping soon! Thanks for coming by, sweetie!


Hey Tony...
It does seem to be a simple recipe, doesn't it? I think it might be just what we single guys need! Simple is good!

Thanks for coming by, my friend!


Hey Angela...
I w3as thinking it would be great for a food storage recipe as well. Fast, easy, and limited ingredients...what a deal!

Thanks for the visit today, girl!

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
Maybe if you made them into cupcakes instead of a cake...they would get eaten faster! Especially if you put funny faces on them...

Just a thought!

Hey, thanks for coming by today!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Sounds great, but it all falls on the canned pumpkins. That is something we don´t have over here.
Have a great day now!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Christer...
I think you told me once before that you don't have canned pumpkins over there. Sorry, I forgot!

Maybe we can come up with another recipe that's as esy for you to make!

What about sweet potatoes? Do they grow there in Sweden?

Hey, thanks for the visit...and sorry about the not having pumpkins!

Felinae said...

Wow! that is way too easy.

Chocolate and pumpkin, yummy!

Hmmm...thinking, thinking, yes! I have pumpkin in the preps and I'm pretty sure there is chocolate cake mix too, but if not, I know I have a white or yellow mix. Improvise when desperate LOL!

Uncle Hermit, was this a small can of pumpkin that was used?

Thanks for sharing the ingredients.

Have a great day, my friend!
Hugs~Felinae~

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
I checked with the lady I got the cake from, and she said that it was just a small (#2) size can...same as the other canned goods you have.

I don't know why it wouldn't work with other cake mixes s well...if you try it with another, please let me know and I'll pass it on!

Hey, thanks for coming by and good luck with the cake!

Felinae said...

Uncle Hermit,
Thanks for checking on the can size :D
I will definitely let you know how it turns out. I might try it out tomorrow since I have the weekend off.

Hugs~Felinae~

Marie said...

When there are only two ingredients, it sounds like a food storage winner to me--and when chocolate is one of them, well, this one is going to get tested at my house! Thanks very much for posting it!

HermitJim said...

Hey Marie...
Glad to share...after all, I have gotten a lot of tips and recipes from some of the other blogs. Sharing is what we do well as preppers, huh! (recipes...NOT the ingredients )

Of course, I would share those too, if they were needed...and I'm sure that most of the other preppers would as well!

Let me know how you like it!

Thanks for the visit...!

Tatersmama said...

Oh YEAH, baby! I'll have to try it with fresh punkin though, since with me being here in Australia, I'm sorry to say that canned pumpkin is rarer than hens teeth. More expensive too.
I have ONE can left, and that's earmarked for Thanksgiving dinner!

HermitJim said...

Hey Tatersmama...
I didn't even know that you could grow pumpkins in Australia! That's great!

Lt me know how you like the recipe, OK?

What do the Aussies think about you celebrating Thanksgiving there?

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Thanks JOJO, That makes me get excited. I will defintnitly try to grow them now.

2 Tramps said...

H.J.,

Thanks so much for taste testing that cake for us all! The recipe sounds great. I keep a lot of canned pumpkin in storage. It is so versitile and packed with nutrition. I am going to make that cake right now as a treat for Tramp 1 (and me!).

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Well it´s not Your fault we don´t have pumpkins over here :-) :-) It´s too cold here for sweet potatoes too, but those we can buy. But the price !!!! :-)
Christer.

Anonymous said...

Another similar recipe you may want to try is Black Bean Brownies. http://www.idareyoutoeatit.com/2009/07/black-bean-brownies/