Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Bit On The Country Side...!


I had the pleasure of finding some quotes by a man I had never read very much, if at all!

I don't know how I went this long without finding this gentleman, but from the quotes that I've read...I think he must have been a country boy, at least at heart!

So much of what he said fits right into what we talk about, right into what we profess to feel, that there is no doubt in my mind that he would be welcome at my table anytime!

No man but feels more of a man in the world if he have a bit of ground that he can call his own. However small it is on the surface, it is four thousand miles deep; and that is a very handsome property.
Charles Dudley Warner

What a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it.
Charles Dudley Warner

Goodness comes out of people who bask in the sun, as it does out of a sweet apple roasted before the fire.
Charles Dudley Warner

Mud-pies gratify one of our first and best instincts. So long as we are dirty, we are pure.
Charles Dudley Warner

One of the best things in the world to be is a boy; it requires no experience, but needs some practice to be a good one.
Charles Dudley Warner

The thing generally raised on city land is taxes.
Charles Dudley Warner

Happy is said to be the family which can eat onions together. They are, for the time being, separate, from the world, and have a harmony of aspiration.
Charles Dudley Warner

To own a bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds, and watch the renewal of life-this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do.
Charles Dudley Warner


Guess he just about says it all! A real mouthful of what appears to be just bout as country as you can get, in my opinion!

Now, my friends, lets get some fresh coffee and sit in the kitchen for a bit. We can watch the rain and wish it was Spring!

14 comments:

Momlady said...

I have my land, I have a garden but my back does not have a hinge. Everything needs work but your nephew is helping out so I'm sure it will all look good in the near future. Now if I could only keep the pesky deer out of the garden.
C'mon Spring!

Baby Sis (Texas Red) said...

Bubba -

Spoken like a true Texas country boy, though I have never heard of him, either, and don't know from whence he hailed. Nonethelesss, a little dirt under the nails and sun on the shoulders seems to take away a whole peck of troubles, or at least bring them into a more manageable basket.
Thanks for the good thoughts of Spring!
Big Hugs (and hang in there!)

Mayberry said...

Country through and through. I like him!

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
I hope the Winter weather doesn't last much longer for you there! If you are as ready to get outside as I, then we are going to be outside a LOT as soon as possible!

Glad you are getting some help in fixing the place up a tad...

I sure am glad you could come by this morning!


Hey Sis...
Always nice to find a new author that thinks along the same lines that we do, huh?

I'm hanging in as much as possible...what else can we do? Just go with the flow and smile!

Looking forward to your next visit! Thanks so much for coming by today!


Hey Mayberry...
Sure sounds like a country boy, don't he? Just gotta love a man that thinks like that!

I appreciate the visit, buddy!

Anonymous said...

A man with a piece of land to call his own, a little garden, and venison in the freezer is as close to heaven as he can be.

Great post Jim.

See Ya

HermitJim said...

Hey Tony...
Sure makes a lot of sense to me, that's for sure!

Maybe a few fresh caught fish for a change of pace would round things out just a tad!

Sure am glad you could drop in today!

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special Freind,
Great post really enjoyed it.
Coffee in he kitchen is always a comfort with good friends. We all sure have had a wet winter in these parts. Well at least we are out of the drought problem.

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
I'm glad you liked the post this morning...!

One thing about having such a wet Winter, it should mean a really beautiful Spring for the area around your place!

I can smell those desert flowers now!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming by today!

Kyddryn said...

"Might I have a bit of earth?" was one of my favorite lines in The Secret Garden. Everyone should have a bit of earth to tend, to sink their fingers into, to dig their toes into, to grow some small thing, coax it to bloom and fruit.

The garden at Casa de Crazy is a haphazard thing at the moment, but Someone is working hard at greening the place up, teaching the Evil Genius as he goes. Can't wait to see the results...

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Kyddryn said...

Whoops - I wanted to add...I often say "A dirty child is a happy child!" when Bird gets into the mud puddles. He's happy a lot.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Ken said...

...Wow,an epiphany,if it is such...my Dad used to say "the best thing in the world is to be a man,you don't need any experience,but it takes lots of practice to be a good one"...

...this is the first time i've heard/seen the actual quote and author...you never cease to amaze me Jim

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...
Good to see you this morning! Funny how the source of so many of the sayings and all that we hear all the time just pop up, isn't it?

No telling where your Dad got it from...it is a great saying either way...boy or man!

I sure do appreciate you coming by today, buddy!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Watch the rain? Up here we watch the snow. Not as much as the sinners out east are getting but we get enough to make us wish it was spring. Anyway, Charles is my kind of man, down to earth. My land is paid for, so I'm alittle closer to it. Thanks for a great post.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mechanic...
One good thing about living this far south, we don't get too much snow! Good thing, too, because most folks here don't drive well even on wet streets! Throw in a little snow or ice...and it's mayhem!

I'm sure glad you could come by today!