Thursday, February 25, 2010

Now This Makes Sense To Me...!


I think that this move is about the best thing that could happen in politics.

It's true that this may be just symbolic in nature, but at least someone is finally taking a decent stand about things. According to this story in the Houston Chronicle, Wyoming is doing just that!

Wyoming lawmakers eye ‘cowboy ethics’ code

Associated Press
Feb. 23, 2010, 12:47PM

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Some members of the Wyoming Legislature want to instill “cowboy ethics” in state law, lest lawmakers and citizens forget the state’s western roots.


The code would stress the importance of living with courage, keeping promises, finishing what you start and saying more by talking less.

Based on the “Code of the West” outlined in a 2004 book by James Owen, a Wall Street investor from Texas, Senate File 51 galloped through the Wyoming Senate last week and on Monday lassoed unanimous approval from the House Minerals Committee.

The bill is a symbolic gesture that carries no criminal penalties and is not meant to replace any civil codes.

The full House of Representatives is expected to take up the bill soon.

Sponsor Sen. Jim Anderson, R-Glenrock, said Owen’s book captured his interest, and he was inspired to introduce the bill after seeing the December premier of a related video project, “The Code of the West: Alive and Well in Wyoming.”

“There’s a work ethic in all things that we do, particularly in government,” Anderson said.

A number of states have enacted ethics codes, but Wyoming’s proposal has a unique flare, said Peggy Kerns, director of the Ethics Center at the National Conference of State Legislatures.

“It’s OK to put in statute these kinds of aspirational statements, and then of course, the proof comes in how it’s played out,” she said.

Brent Hathaway, dean of the University of Wyoming College of Business, keeps a copy of the cowboy code hanging above his desk.


I think it's a shame that some of this can't be passed on to the folks in Washington, don't you? Oh well, never hurts to dream!

Now, my friends, let's get some coffee and sit in the kitchen. Too chilly to sit on the patio, ya know?

12 comments:

Ken said...

...one can hope...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, one can hope but Washington and common sense coming together - just boggles the mind . . .

Baby Sis (Texas Red) said...

Gives a new meaning to the saying "Cowboy Up", huh?

And now the "real" cowboys are hitting town this weekend, are we ready for this one??

Big hugs -

Momlady said...

Ethics? In D.C.? Dream on, my friend, dream on.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ken...
yeah, I guess that's all we can do!

I appreciate the visit, buddy!


Hey Anon 7:05
It does seem out of reach, doesn't it? Silly of me to think it could happen!

Thanks for coming by today!


Hey Sis...
I know, I know...I've got my head in the clouds thinking this could ever happen! Call me an optimist, I guess!

Thanks for coming by today, Sis!


Hey Momlady...
Think it's a case of "never has been there, never will be there"?

You're probably right! well, it would be nice!

Thanks, my friend, for coming by!

Anonymous said...

Well cowboys hung horse theives didn't they? So there is hope.

See Ya

HermitJim said...

Hey Tony...
Maybe the threat of some frontier justice is what's needed to make folks straighten up and fly right!

Better yet, how about a new Sheriff in town...that might help!

Thanks for coming by today, my friend!

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Jim,your blog keeps getting closer to my heart everyday. Keep up the good work. It's hard to find a blog that's down to earth and gives us hope and not just gloom. Thanks again.

HermitJim said...

hey Mechanic...
I really appreciate the kind words today and I'm glad that you like the Blog!

I try and keep things upbeat and light, but sometimes things just get the better of me...and i have to rant a bit.

I admit to being caught up in the gloom and doom like others at times, but feel as though I don't need to add to it. Instead, I want to be the bearer of some good stuff and maybe even a little silly occasionally!

I certainly appreciate you coming by and giving me a read and I thank you for that!

Kyddryn said...

They have ethics in D.C...a whole committee dedicated to 'em. Wait...or is that committee dedicated to DODGING the ethics issue...?

Good stuff...I hope they live up to it!

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

HermitJim said...

Hey K...
Who knows what kind of committees they have up there in D.C. ?
Probably better that we don't know!

really appreciate you coming by today, my friend!

tjbbpgobIII said...

Just get it started and we'll go one state at a time.