Friday, July 23, 2010

Some Good News For A Change...!


In a bit of much needed good news along the Gulf of Mexico, the NOAA has decided to re-open the waters for fishing.

This probablt is way too little too late for a lot of families that make their living in the gulf, but it is a step in the right direction! At least, in my opinion!

26,000 square miles of Gulf reopened to fishing

© 2010 The Associated Press
July 22, 2010, 6:17PM

NEW ORLEANS — The government is allowing commercial and recreational fishing again in roughly one third of the waters it had closed because of the BP oil spill.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the area that reopened Thursday is 26,388 square miles of federal waters in the Gulf.

The administration said that since mid-June, no oil had been found in the area. Additionally, projections of where the oil might go in the future shows a low risk of the area being hit.

NOAA also says fish caught in the area and tested have shown no signs of contamination.

Commerce Secretary Gary Locke says that the reopening provides important assurance that seafood is safe and protects the Gulf seafood brand.

Now, if we could get BP to honor it's claim to pay the folks that were all but destroyed by this disaster, then just maybe the folks most affected by the oil spill could get on with the daily routine of trying to survive!

Hey, things could be worse! The White House could be coming to Texas for their August vacation, instead of going to Florida! Right?

Coffee in the kitchen this morning, my friends. Seems that it's raining again here in Houston!

9 comments:

Catman said...

Jim,

Oil is showing up in Mexican and Cuban waters. The gulf is like 580,000 square miles.

And 26,000 square miles are open to fishing.

Sounds like the dropped food 3 second rule to me. Or just plain propaganda.

HermitJim said...

Hey Catman...
It would seem to me like I said that this is way too little, way too late!

Still, I guess it's better than nothing!

Thanks for coming by today, buddy!

Dizzy-Dick said...

Lest we forget, it will take years and years and years before the Gulf is back to normal. But it may sound worse than it actually will be, Mother Nature has a lot of ways of adapting or healing herself.

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Sorry I couldn't visit yesterday. More domestic duty,my son's garage door broke a spring and bent everything up. Dad had to come to the rescue again and fix it.(pay for everything too). Anyway, I still think we should issue some steep punishment to BP if they don't pay up. This is a crime against the people and they will pay,one way or another. Thanks for another great lesson.

HermitJim said...

Hey Dizzy...
I'm not sure that the coast will ever truly recover but, like you said, Mother Nature has a marvelous way of taking care of things in her own special way!

I can only hope that the PTB allow her to heal in peace after cleaning up as best they can!

thanks for coming by today!


Hey Mechanic...
Another "daddy to the rescue" situation, hay?

Sometimes, it's nice to have the old man around, isn't it? Good thing you have the knowledge (and the pocketbook) to fix things up!

I do appreciate you coming by today!

Anonymous said...

And contaminated fish don't swim... hmmm, have to think about that. Weather's fine here, I had coffee in my yard in the sun and watched the passionfruit vines grow a little.

AV

Tatersmama said...

Well, I guess a little bit of good news is better than none at all, but still...
My heart breaks, thinking of all those families who have been destroyed due to BP's incompetence.

HermitJim said...

Hey AV...
Glad you are having some good weather at your place! Watching things grow is a good pat time!

Thanks for coming by!


Hey Kate...
I know how you feel about those poor families. Sadly, it may be a while before any justice is found for them...if they ever get any at all!

You take care, my friend, and thanks for coming by today!

Noki said...

I agree... It's good to hear some good news. Lately, that's been in short supply. I'll take it where I can get it.

Hugs,
Ashley