Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm Gonna Make Your Day...!


Just in time for your week-end, I'm gonna give you some news that should help you to enjoy yourself even more!

In an article I read at CNN, both chocolate and coffee have some positive health effects for you!

That got your attention, didn't it? I'm going to put the two parts that deal with both chocolate and coffee right here, but for the other so-called "bad habits" that may be good for you...you can read the whole article right here!

A daily chocolate fix:
Our experts gave a hearty thumbs-up to nibbling a little chocolate every day -- as long as you stick to a square or two of the dark kind, to minimize sugar and fat intake and maximize the benefits. (The temptation to overeat this sweet treat accounts for it not making it into the top three.)

Dark chocolate and cocoa may help lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of stroke, and provide other cardiovascular benefits, multiple studies have shown.

"Dark chocolate contains antioxidants called flavonoids, believed to improve the flexibility of blood vessels," Goldberg explains. "That can help lower blood pressure and also make blood vessels more resistant to plaque buildup."

Chocolate's rep as a go-to comfort food when you're upset has science behind it, too. A study published late last year found that eating 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate a day for two weeks reduced stress hormones in highly anxious people. Check for at least 75 percent cacao content to get the most bliss for your bite.

Your morning java:
It's completely OK if you need it to pry your eyes open in the a.m. A wealth of research suggests that coffee doesn't just pick you up -- it fights heart disease and some cancers, and it may even help you push through harder, longer workouts.

Moderate coffee-drinking in middle age has been associated with lower risks for dementia and Alzheimer's. And a 2009 review of more than four decades of research found that for every additional cup of coffee you drink each day -- high-octane or decaf -- your risk of developing type 2 diabetes shrinks by 7 percent, possibly because chemicals in the beverage improve your body's insulin sensitivity and increase metabolism.

Enjoy up to two cups a day; more than that may leave you jittery or rob you of that precious number-one pleasure -- sleep

Now that should make your days off just a little more guilt free, or at least a tiny bit more enjoyable! Just trying to do my part!

Now, my friends, let's get some fresh coffee and sit outside! It's good for ya, remember?

14 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

I KNEW it was good for you..Anything as good as real chocolate just CAN'T be bad. And coffee? Yep, it really does open the veins in your brain area and get you moving. In fact my doc told me to continue my coffee to elevate my head aches that used to plague me!!

Momlady said...

Jim, I maintain that chocolate is a vegetable (it starts off as a bean doesn't it?) and now I'll add coffee. I prefer the dark chocolate anyway.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning My Special One
Well heres to you then as I lift my cup in a great Cheer. And chocolate mmmmmmmmm I do like that too. Sitting outside for a bit sounds nice too.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Thank you very much, Jim. Now I will not have all that guilt that goes with my "extra strong" coffee and 70% dark chocolate. I have some every day. Like the comment above, MMMMMMMmmmmmm!!

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
I'm with ya on that! can't be bad for ya if it taste that good! Don't know just how I would function without my coffee!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!


Hey Momlady...
I hadn't thought of it like that, but now that you mention it...it makes a lot of sense!

A veggie! Who would have guessed?

I appreciate the information and the visit today!


Hey JoJo...
Just looking out for ya, sweetie! If we were closer, I'd give you a big ol' box of chocolate...just for health purposes, ya know?

Thanks for the visit, sweetie!


Hey dizzy...
Just doing my part to alieve some of the guilt associated with the coffee, buddy!

As far as the chocolate, I gave up that guilt a long time ago!

Thanks for coming by , my friend!

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

Great news!
But it is the thing of only eating that little chocolate that is the big problem :-) :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.

Mechanic in Illinois said...

All I know is if you have a female in the house you better have some chocolate. I have extra hidden just in case the SHTF. I'll have enough trouble defending myself at that time. Thanks for another great lesson.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate, ok, here is the real info on calories in chocolate.

Calories are afraid of heights.
Therefore store the chocolate on a high shelf, in fridge, or cupboard, doesn't matter, just a high place.

The calories being afraid of high places will jump out of the chocolate and leave.

Then you can eat all the chocolate you want.
My very bestest friend told me this, and she is a chocoholic, so she knows.

Worry, guild free chocolate without the calories.

YES!!!

Selene

Anonymous said...

Jim, can you or one of your readers help me, please?

I used to have a google account. forgot the password, and google wont give me the password, or let me open a new account.

Many of the blogs I read do not allow anonymous comments, is there a way to get that pass word? or open a new account???

Selene

Anonymous said...

Chocolate is like beer, and beer is like boobs... one simply isn't enough.

If what you report about coffee, then I should be getting younger next Sunday instead of a year older... I will begin convincing people that I am 57 next Sunday, not 59...

AV

Tatersmama said...

You've made my day, hun! I don't go a day without dark chocolate or coffee... and the last time I saw my doc, he attributed my GREAT blood pressure (115/75) to both of 'em!

Selene... try this:
https://www.google.com/accounts/recovery

or this:
http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=48598

Sue said...

Made my day..i am sooo addicted to choc...but i do limit myself..
Must have 1 cup off coffee before i speak to anyone..how weird is that???Have a great wknd Hermit...

Noki said...

It sounds like those chocolate-covered coffee beans are just the thing for your health!

Hugs,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site hermitjim.blogspot.com
Is this possible?