Friday, September 3, 2010

Rough Week And Holiday Coming Up...!


You know, between the continuing heat, the crowd of family here last weekend, and the cleaning and straightening up after everyone went home...I'm glad that it's Friday!

I really don't know why, since I'm retired, but Friday's are always nice! It's a hold over from my working days, I guess! This picture looks a lot like how I feel this week! It at least gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about!



Anyway, it's a holiday weekend for those that are paying attention to that sort of thing! Labor Day is this coming Monday.

Labor Day is one of those smaller holidays that not everyone gets off for. I looked over on the Almanac and sure enough, they had a bit of history about Labor Day that you might find interesting! If nothing else, it's interesting and educational! But nearly all the holidays listed in the Farmer's Almanac are that way!

Labor Day is always the first Monday in September (this year, it falls on the 6th). The 6th is also Labour Day in Canada. See the origin and meaning of Labor Day.

To honor the achievements of the working class, Labor Day in the U.S. was first celebrated on September 5, 1882, with a parade put on by the Central Labor Union in New York City.

The holiday’s popularity spread, and on June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland made it a federal holiday, to be observed on the first Monday in September.

It’s thought that the U.S. holiday was inspired by Canada’s labor movement, which was started by Canadian trade unionists in 1872.

I hope you all have a chance to enjoy the long weekend, or at least get a chance to have some rest on Monday! Seems like a good day to enjoy a cook-out, but what day isn't? Grilling something sure is better than spending time in a hot kitchen, slaving over a hot stove...don't you think?

Now, let's get some fresh coffee and sit outside for a bit. We can toast to Labor Day!

13 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

Labor Day was never a big deal to me once I entered the working class.

What I remember it most for was when we was all kids, it was Family Reunion camp out weekend!!!!
Our Family (5) would drive west to someplace that the matriarch of the family My Aunt Artie would find for us. At first we would camp out in tents, them we gradually moved to our campers, or Travel Trailers, Then we all got older, we'd rent a big cabin or lodge. My Mother and I held the record of not missing one in over 30 years. I think the last one was about 10 years ago. We just got to spread out and too many off spring.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the weekend will be memorable and I will feel like that rooster pictured, on Tuesday.

Party on Hermit

Chucky

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One
Thanks for the History lesson and You sure look funny. :) So lets sit on the patio and try to unruffle your feathers. Then we could start the fun all over again.

Mechanic in Illinois said...

Thanks for the great lesson. Heading for Branson Mo. sunday. Have a great holiday weekend.

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
I'd love to spend some good time with you sweetie!

Time spent with a good looking woman is good times indeed!

I appreciate you coming by today!


Hey Mechanic...Never been to Branson, but I've heard it's a fun place to go! One thing about it, bet there's plenty of music to listen to!

Have a safe one, buddy, and thanks for coming by!

Felinae said...

Thanks for the lesson, Uncle Hermit.

We have nothing planned for this weekend, well other than Catman finishing up the re-do of the daughter's bathroom. So we will be spending it at home. :)

Have a great weekend, may it be a relaxing one for you.

Hugs~Felinae~

HermitJim said...

Hey Felinae...
Look at it this way...it at least keeps you off the streets and out of the pool halls!

You have a safe one, and thanks for coming by today!

Bob Mc said...

Hey Jim, I have some chickens running around here that look almost that bad. They've been molting in the summer heat. Have you ever seen a turken? You can Google it and find pictures. Now that is an ugly bird!

I never go anywhere on holidays, Labor Day included. Don't like crowds. I'll wait until everyone else goes home, then I'll go out to play.

Marjie said...

College kids coming home to roost for the long weekend; plenty of food about. We're staying out of the traffic. I love me a nice 3 day weekend; it always feels like you cheated the calendar a little bit.

HermitJim said...

Hey Bob...
Thanks for the info! I'll have to look it up.

Almost feel sorry for the birds that have to wear feathers all the time, ya know?

Be a good weekend to go fishing, I'm thinking!

Hey, thanks for dropping in!


Hey Marjie...
Ah yes...time to bring the dirty laundry home and raid Mom's fridge for some leftovers!

Staying home is probably a real good idea! Safest place to be!

Thanks for coming by today!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dizzy-Dick said...

Very fitting for labor day, I had to work today. Spent 10 hours or so, but finally got the job sent in tonight. Weekends and holidays are when I get most of my work, no one at the offices to do it, ok, throw me in the briar patch :-()

Unknown said...

It takes 4,000 grains of sugar to fill a teaspoon. correction---- 4010