Monday, September 6, 2010

Some More Thoughts On Aging...!


You know, the older we get, the more we seem to think deeper about life in general.

We ponder our past, our future, and our present path. Many times we spend way too much time thinking about missed opportunity and past mistakes...and that's not a good thing!

One would think that as we got older, we would try and stay positive about everything. At least, as positive as possible considering all the headlines.

Maybe I can help you a bit to stay positive by sharing a few of these thoughts on aging. Hopefully a few of them might make you smile a bit. If they don't make you smile, maybe they will at least make you stop thinking about your age!

First ~ Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Second ~ The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Third ~ Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

Fourth ~ When you're dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.

Fifth ~ You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Sixth ~ I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Seventh ~ One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young.

Eighth ~ One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been. >

Ninth ~ Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

Tenth ~ Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf.

And, finally ~ If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you are old.


As much as I would like to say I thought of all these gems on my own, I'll have to admit that they all came from a gentleman called Will Rogers! You may have heard of him...pretty smart fella, from wht I understand!

Anyway, I do hope you all have a great holiday today! Be safe and be careful! It's a jungle out there!

Now, my friends, let's get some fresh coffee and sit outside for a bit. We can share our thoughts on aging, OK?

13 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Oh, I LOVE #8! How true is that??

Here's one that a friend sent me today. (hmmm... I wonder why I'm seeing aging quotes everywhere nowadays???)

"You know you're getting old when you start choosing your cereal for the fiber, and not the toy."

Do you mind adding some Geritol to that cup of coffee?
I think I may need it. ;)

HermitJim said...

Hey Kate...
One touch of Geritol coming up! I guess that the reason so many aging quotes are showing up, is because we (most of us anyway) can finally "get it", ya know?


I sure am glad you could come by today! Thank you...!

Ben in Texas said...

The one major thing I have noticed is,in the grocery stores I get nice polite smiles from young ladies when I pass by taking up the entire isle. Used to think it was cause they found me so dang good looking. But someone pointed out it was most likely cause of my gray hair and the fact that I was muttering and looked lost

Anonymous said...

They are great, worthy of reposting on Genes sometime, linked of course. I had to laugh at the golf one, that is so true. Great stuff over morning coffee.

AV

Dizzy-Dick said...

I liked No. eight the best. It has some deep profound meaning to it. Thanks for the list, of course I had to use my by-focals to read it. . .

Terri W said...

As I approach the big 4-0, I've been dwelling on my rather uneventful life. This is a fabulous list and it's already improved my outlook. Thank you.

HermitJim said...

Hey Ben...
Really a shocker when they offer to let you cut in line in front of them! That's when you know you have to be looking older!

Hey, thanks for coming by today!


Hey AV...
Does kind of fit the guys that I know who play golf! Guess it's all in how you look at things!

I sure appreciate you coming by today!


Hey Dizzy...
Being able to still see the small print is a good thing, though! If it takes glasses, that's a small price to pay!

I thanks you for coming by today, my friend!


Hey Terri...
Believe me, Darlin' At 40, you are probably one of the true youngsters here!

I can reember when 40 sounded pretty old...but now, anyone under 50 is just a kid!

Enjoy it while you can!

Thanks so much for the visit today!

Momlady said...

So true, so true.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Are you back home already? I hope the cruise went well and you had a great time!

Welcome home, my friend! We missed you!

JoJo said...

Good Morning My Special One
these are great, yes anyone under 50 is a kid,yes glasses are a small price to pay for far away and now close up :)sitting on the patio drinking coffee with friends and finding more reasons to enjoy our age.

HermitJim said...

Hey JoJo...
Good to see you this morning, sweetie! So, how much longer are you staying in the mountains? Are you going back to the village before the cold weather comes?

At least you now have a choice, huh?

Thanks so much for coming by today!

Edain said...

Great post, as ever! :)

Oh and I've just given you an award: http://englishpaganincanada.blogspot.com/2010/09/additions-and-award.html

Enjoy! :)

HermitJim said...

Hey Edain...
Always a pleasure to see you, my pagan friend! It's been a while!

Thanks so much for the award today, and thanks for coming by for a visit!