Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Saint Patrick's Day...!

I know that nearly everyone remembered, but today is St. Patrick's Day!

I picked up a short little history of St. Patrick from the Old Farmer's Almanac that I wanted to share with you. I'm sure there are many more detailed histories of him out there, but as I said, I'm keeping this one pretty short!

Who Was Patrick?

Was there really a St. Patrick? Definitely. Did he really drive the snakes out of Ireland? Probably not. At age 16 (around A.D. 400), Patrick was kidnapped from his home on the west coast of England and carried off to Ireland. After 6 years, he escaped; upon returning home, he received his call (in a dream) to preach the Gospel. He spent the next 15 or so years in a monastery, preparing for his missionary work. Although some Christians lived in Ireland at the time, it was Patrick who spread Christianity throughout the land and brought an organized church into existence.

The first St. Patrick’s Day parade in the United States was held in New York City on this day in 1762. We wear a shamrock on St. Patrick’s Day because Patrick used its three leaves to explain the Holy Trinity. But, as far as we know, he never drank green beer!


Time for some fresh coffee on the patio. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to make it green!

12 comments:

XXXXX said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to All and thank you for your fun daily messages. I look forward to them every morning.

Momlady said...

Not quite the whole story but that's okay. Most people wouldn't like or believe the whole one.

XXXXX said...

Just got back from walking to the grocery store and got treated to Amazing Grace by bagpipe. Course, couldn't help but think of yesterday's post and have to say that the tears won out over the humor. I'm about 3/4 serious and 1/4 humor so I guess it is no surprise. The power of that piece done by bagpipe is absolutely unsurpassed.
Happy St. Pat's Day again to you, Jim.

Caddie said...

I'm going to have to pay more attention to the calendar! Here I am caught without wearing any green. Have to watch out for those pinchers.

To Momlady: where can we find "the whole story"; I such a curious cat.

JO said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

I am going to enjoy my coffee on the porch this morning before the nsty winds start. We have had 80 degree temps all week and tomorrow a winter storm. Low temps of about 58 for the high.

HermitJim said...

Hey George...
Thanks for the kind words this morning!

I have to ask, where did you hear the bagpipes this morning? I mean, it's not something you normally hear every day!

Anyway, your visit is certainly appreciated today, my friend!


Hey Momlady...
Seems there is always a back story, right?

I think much of these stories are representative anyway.

Thanks so much for coming by today!


Hey Carolyn...
Better get that green on, girl! Don't want you running around with a lot of bruises today!

Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey JoJo...
Your weather is being crazier than ours!

We have been staying up in the 70 and 80 range for the whole week. No cold weather seems to be in store, though.

Enjoy the morning and the coffee, sweetie! Thanks for coming over today!

JMD said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you also. I have the corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot and just pulled a loaf of soda bread out of the oven. LOL...we don't have a drop of Irish in us but love the food.

XXXXX said...

Well, Jim, I was pretty surprised myself. I don't know if the supermarket hired them just to celebrate the day and draw in some happy customers or if the man and his son were there on their own, just celebrating the Irish within. I'm presuming it was a man and his son, about 12 years old. The man played a piece first and then put the pipes on the boy. You know, I know what a classic Amazing Grace is on the pipes and I just could hardly believe it when the boy started playing it. Mighty good too. Your post yesterday wetted my whistle so to speak to hear the tune and I couldn't believe my good fortune that this happened today. Syncronicity. Must be some truth in it.
I got some green beer over here on the patio if you're in the neighborhood. Beautiful day here today.

HermitJim said...

Hey JMD...
I do love me some good ol' corned beef and cabbage!

Been wanting to learn how to make one myself!

Thanks for coming by today!

BBC said...

I just had three green beers at the Eagles.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Dang, I for got what day it is, and I have been wearing blue all day.

HermitJim said...

Hey BBC...
Sounds like a good way to celebrate to me!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Dizzy...
Did anyone pinch ya?

Better to wear blue on your clothes than to wear it on your body in the form of bruises!

Thanks, buddy, for dropping by today!