Friday, July 13, 2012

A Trip To The Woods This Friday...!

Of course, this is not just any woods, but a very special place!

This group of trees could almost qualify for one of our Monday mysteries, ya know? Once again this just proves the point that the world is chock full of strange and unusual places! What a wonderful world we live in!

Crooked Forest


The Crooked Forest is a grove of oddly shaped pine trees located outside the village of Nowe Czarnowo, in western Poland. The forest contains about 400 pine trees that grow with a 90 degree bend at the base of their trunks. All of the trees are bent northward and surrounded by a larger forest of straight-growing pine trees. The crooked trees were planted around 1930 when the area was inside the German province of Pomerania.

It is thought that the trees were formed with a human tool, but the method and motive for creating the grove is not currently known. It appears that the trees were allowed to grow for seven to ten years before being held down and warped by a device. The exact reason why the Germans would want to make crooked trees is unknown, but many people have speculated that they were going to be harvested for bent-wood furniture, the ribs of boat hulls, or yokes for ox-drawn plows. It is a bizarre case that still can’t explain.


This would be an interesting place to visit, but I would be a little shy about having a picnic there. How about you?

BTW, it's Friday the 13TH again! I'm just saying...!

One more morning of coffee in the kitchen. We can share some fresh cantaloupe, OK?

12 comments:

Sixbears said...

Now I know where my local lumber supply gets their wood for 2x4s. It's the only explaination why there isn't a straight one in the pile.

Anonymous said...

Lol, thats funny Sixbears. My local Loews pretty much matches your comment as well.

Very interesting, Man certainly was a resourceful creature when he did this.

Anonymous said...

Interesting!
I've never heard about these trees before but I know they did similar things to oaks back in the days when they made ships from wood. But pines? I guess the theory about making furniture can be right.

Have a great day!
Christer.

Caddie said...

I don't know Hermit; it really looks inviting to me with all the perches to sit on. Nice spot to eat some cantaloupe and listen to the silence and smell the smell. I love the looks of these woods. The shapes may well do for harps - maybe? Oh, but its only pine; that won't work! Sure is a mystery all right; an all-bent-out-of-shape-mystery.

I fully agree about crooked lumber sales; pathetic offerings.

Baby Sis said...

Bubba -
I agree with Sissy - looks like a great place for kids with imagination, or me! I remember the tree in Garden Villas, by the library, where the brownies had their door to enter their little village....Just saying....

Big hugs -

JO said...

How very clever and very interesting too. I don't know I think a picnic there would be nice.

But coffee in your kitchen is always the best place to be or on the patio.

Duke said...

It seems if there is 400 of them and it was done by some mechanical means someone would have remembered seeing how it was done. I mean there has to be lots of people still alive who saw these as kids.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Maybe they got run over by German tanks when they were still young and supple enough not to break.

kare said...

How cool is this :D
i agree with Duke...Someones gotta know something.

Now i want to go get this Solved..
See what you started! haha!

Thanks for this neat post & Coffee..Can i have mine iced??
We're into Monsoon ..it's HOT & Humid! Blagh :P
Happy Superstition day!

HermitJim said...

Hey Sixbears...
That certainly would explain a lot about where they came from!

Sometimes the straight ones are the focus of a treasure hunt!

Thanks, buddy, for coming by today!


Hey Anon 6:11...
Man can certainly be creative at times! After all, the most creative of all is often the guy that somehow manages to sell all those crooked boards!

Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Christer...
I sure wish I knew why they were shaped that way! Something like this can sure make the old imagination run wild!

Thanks for dropping by, my friend!


Hey Sissy...
Just another wonderful place of mystery to visit!

If anyone finds the answer, please let me know! I really am curious!

Thanks for the visit today!


Hey Sis...
Always something mysterious around if you know where to look!

Kids would love to be around this place, I think!

Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey JoJo...
Maybe it would be great for a picnic, with the right company! That does make a difference, for sure!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over this morning!


Hey Duke...
You would certainly think that someone would know something, wouldn't you?

Might just be one of those German secrets we will never know the answer to!

Thanks, my friend, for coming over today!


Hey Dizzy...
I can see where that could happen. Something with a lot of force was involved, that's for sure!

Thank you for coming over today, buddy! I appreciate it!


Hey Kare...
Bad think is, something like this will stay on your mind for a long time! Crazy, huh?

Glad you enjoyed it and glad you could come by today!

Labrys said...

I, too, think they would be marvelous to sit upon! I don't recall where I read it, but I know there were Polish customs of shaping growing trees for a purpose down the road.

Course, here? We have some trees that look that way naturally on our hillsides. It is caused by the geological phenomenon called "creep"...the tree bends against the slope of the hill to stay upright as the hill slowly literally slides away over years. Some do actually lie on the ground in the effort....like these; but most simply have a profound curve a bit further up the trunk.

HermitJim said...

Hey Labrys...
I'll have to do some more research and see if I can find the reason these things are done this way!

It would be interesting to know!

Thanks so much for coming over today!