Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Something to Ponder This Tuesday...!

By now, I'm sure that everyone has heard of the Google Glasses. This device, while being pretty cool, opens up a very large array of options that are NOT!

Each and every day, the advances of modern technology sound more like a bad science movie from the 50s and 60s, know what I mean?

Google Glass

Google glasses are indeed available now (probably not to you, but to somebody). The glasses themselves are not nearly so disturbing on their own. It’s the ideas they’ve incited that are in question. Google Glass will enable us to do everything we’ve been doing on our cell phones, but in a sophisticated, hands-free, much more James Bond kind of way. Intriguing as they are, we should have known by now that anything created in the pursuit of science is never the end; it’s only the beginning.


One Google futurist has already predicted we’ll be uploading our brains into computers next, and while the ability to do so remains indefinite because the imaging required to achieve retention of consciousness into a digital space is unheard of, the computer element may not be as far off as we would imagine. And don’t just laugh that off as hopeful science fiction material. We put a man on the moon, didn’t we?

Immortality inside a machine is one thing, and the opportunity to transcend the way humans process thought is another. But don’t you think the brain would be traumatized to realize it was unattached to all the bodily elements it is designed to handle, instead finding itself to be merely suspended data stored electronically? When that human mind discovers it’s in a machine, how long before it succumbs to insanity? Or will it be like some sort of “brain in a vat” situation that philosophy warned us about, in which the brains aren’t aware they are in the computers? Who knows, maybe it’s already happened. Maybe you just think you’re reading this because some mad scientist has programmed your isolated brain to let you think you’re reading this.

And if that doesn’t make you think, then what about the suggestion that our natural human bodies will be replaced by machines in just 90 years? That’s another bold speculation Google engineers have made, and judging by Google Glass and the avid claims of its creators, they’re serious.

Would you want to download your brain and memories into a computer? Kinda scary, when you consider how many times my 'puter goes down. Just think what would happened if someone pulled the plug!

Let's have coffee out on the patio this morning. I'm thinking that some fresh potato rolls and honey would be good!

9 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

The human brain and a computer chip are far more similar than most know. When I went back to school at age 50, I remember reading about how computers worked in computer class, then going to the building next door and reading how the human brain worked in psychology, and I swear, the texts were almost interchangeable!

Anonymous said...

I'll resist leaving a computer for glasses or connecting my brain to one :-) Just the thought of that brain connecting thing scares me!

Just imagine all the different viruses they could down load or even worse! all those adds I really don't want to see :-) :-) :-)

I sure hope I'm not already connected because if I am I think my programmer could do better, I won't complain about my life but surley he could have made me win the lottery :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

HermitJim said...

Hey Gorges...
It's a scary world we live in. I wonder if we will carry our sense of right and wrong with us if we download ourselves?

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Crister...
It does seem like something I don't want. A little frightening to think some of the folks I know being stored in a computer!

It really could be a disaster if that happened!

Thanks for coming over today!

Chickenmom said...

Imagine waking up one morning and hearing "Does not compute - Does not compute" in your head?
Honey on potato rolls sound wonderful - be right there!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Some of the brains that I have encountered would simply just crash the computer if uploaded.

linda m said...

Since computers tend to crash I don't think I want my brain put into a computer. My brain gives me the "blue screen of death" just fine now with out help from a machine. Shades of the movie "Terminator" . Coffee out on the patio with potato rolls and honey sound delicious.

Sixbears said...

I rarely use a cell phone, and it's a dumb one with no features. With some electronics, I'm several generations behind, on purpose.

JO said...

I don't think I want to do that either. My brain isn't all that computer suave to begin with. Of course I doubt I will be around that long to see this event.

Love some time with everyone on the patio. I'll take a refill please.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
It doesn't take much to get stuck in my head as it is.

This whole thing could turn ugly in the future!

Thanks for the visit today!



Hey Sunnybrook...
I know exactly what you are talking about!

Hope that never happens!

Thanks for dropping in!



Hey Linda...
I don't think any self respecting computer would accept my brain as a download!

Many thanks for coming over today!



Hey Sixbears...
I have one for emergency use only. It's a smart phone, but I got it for free!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Jo...
I think that most of us will pass on the whole thing!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!