Friday, February 21, 2014

American Scalping For Money...!

Some things that the colonist picked up in the New World were not very nice. In fact, one might say they were a bit barbaric, know what I mean?

Feb 20, 1725:
American colonists practice scalping

In the American colonies, a posse of New Hampshire volunteers comes across a band of encamped Native Americans and takes 10 "scalps" in the first significant appropriation of this Native American practice by European colonists. The posse received a bounty of 100 pounds per scalp from the colonial authorities in Boston.

Although the custom of "scalping" was once practiced in Europe and Asia, it is generally associated with North American native groups. In scalping, the skin around the crown of the head was cut and removed from the enemy's skull, usually causing death. In addition to its value as a war trophy, a scalp was often believed to bestow the possessor with the powers of the scalped enemy. In their early wars with Native Americans, European colonists of North America retaliated against hostile native groups by adopting their practice of scalp taking. Bounties were offered for them by colonial authorities, which in turn led to an escalation of intertribal warfare and scalping in North America.

I don't know who originally came up with this idea, but I'm glad that this particular practice has been done away with...at least as far as we know!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. It's trying to rain some, but the onions I set out need a good drink, so that's good!

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

I'm with you. I'm glad it's no longer practiced but was surprised to learn that it was also done in Europe n Asia...Been raining cats n dogs here since the wee hours and now they're saying 1-3 inches of snow again Tuesday.....I may just never venture outide again.....This has been a long long winter !!!!!

Chickenmom said...

I guess if you were bald 'ya got lucky...
So foggy here this morning. It's a good day for coffee in the kitchen. I'll bring some warm blueberry muffins.

linda m said...

I agree with you. Such a gruesome practice. Didn't know it had been done in Europe as well. Very windy (30 MPH) ,icy and snowing here. I am staying indoors today. Have a great weekend.

Dizzy-Dick said...

I guess back then it paid to be bald. . .

JO said...

The practice of scalping was brought to the Americas long before the English came here. It was the Spanish of course I could be wrong. I better look it up to be sure.

I'll be happy for coffee in the kitchen it's chilly here this morning.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
I know that many folks are certainly ready for Spring. I know that I am glad to have some nicer weather here, but I haven't had the Winter many of the readers have.

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Phyllis...
Being bald could be a good thing in those days!

Blueberry muffins are certainly welcome!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Linda M...
I reckon some grizzly traditions are harder to forget than others!

Sorry you are still having ice and snow. I'll share my warm sunshine with you!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Dizzy...
I reckon you're right!

Thanks for coming by, buddy!



Hey Jo...
Native Americans had to learn it somewhere! Gruesome at best!

Thanks, sweetie, for dropping in today!



Bob Mc said...

I've always heard that the Native Americans picked up the custom of scalping from the white man (Europeans) who paid bounty for Indian scalps,