Friday, February 14, 2014

Dog Story For Valentine's Day...!

Normally I don't do Valentines day, being single and pretty much a recluse. Guess hermit would be a better description.

However, since many of my faithful readers may pause to celebrate today, I decided to find a feel good story to share! Hey, secretly I'm a nice guy!

Bamse



Bamse was a Saint Bernard that served aboard a Norwegian minesweeper during World War II. Despite his cute and cuddly appearance—Bamse means “cuddly bear” in Norwegian—he was extremely tough. Bamse was originally brought on board by the ship’s captain. When the captain tried to take Bamse with him when leaving for another posting, the crew, who had grown fond of the dog, threatened to leave the ship if he was taken away. They loved the dog so much that they would have mutinied rather than lose him.

Bamse became legendary in Dundee and Montrose, where the ship was stationed during World War II. He rode buses alone with a specially made bus pass tied around his neck, made sure that drunken sailors made it back to their posts, and allegedly put a stop to bar fights. Once, he rescued a crewman who’d fallen overboard by diving in to drag him to safety. He rescued another crewman cornered by a knifeman by barreling into the attacker and dragging him into the water. But Bamse was more than just a hero—he was also a peacemaker. It was reported that when sailors got into fights on board, he forced them to stop by standing on his hind legs with his paws on their shoulders as if to say, “Calm down, it’s not worth it.” And Bamse wasn’t just famous in Scotland, where his ship was based—every Christmas, he was dressed in a little sailor’s hat and photographed so that his picture could be put on Christmas cards and sent to the crewmates’ relatives in Norway. Awwww.

Maybe we need a few more dogs like this one around instead of some of the two legged creatures that show up in the news all the time. I'd sure feel better with a lot of dogs doing good things, than having to associate with a over abundance of so-called humans doing stupid and evil crap, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio today. It's supposed to go up to 73 and sunny, so that's what I'm giving for Valentines Day, OK?

8 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Good story. Seems like Bamse was a very special mascot.
And a Happy Valentine's Day to you, Mr. Hermit! You are very special to us!

Mamahen said...

Awww is right..Thank you for this heart warming start to the day....I'm not sure you can be a hermit n open your heart n soul ti so many everyday at the same time. Happy Valentine's day to you sir :))

linda m said...

Great story! I would rather have Bamse for a friend than some of the so called ones I do have. Happy Valentine's Day to you Mr. Hermit. You are a special person to us. Have a great weekend.

Momlady said...

I'm pretty much of a hermit myself and don't "celebrate" Valentine's day since I believe it was originally intended for lovers. This business of making kids in school exchange them really gets me going. I'll say no more. So have a very merry unbirthday!

JO said...

Happy Valentines Day My Special Friend!

What a great story. Lot's of dogs are really special they have the inner sense that leads them to fix a bad situation.

I'll be happy to sit out on the patio soon it will be to hot.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Now that was a smart dog. Most animals are smarter than we believe they are. BTW, I have to celebrate today because it is also my birthday.

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Everyone needs a friend like Bamse at some point in their life.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and for coming over today!



Hey Mamahen...
Thanks for that, my friend! As far as opening up to folks, here is about the only place I do it.

I appreciate your visit today!



Hey Linda M...
I do know what you mean about having this type of friend. We all could use one at times!

I'm glad you could come by today!



Hey Momlady...
I'm thinking that making the kids exchange them takes away from the joy of getting a special one from someone!

You have a great day and thanks for coming by today!



Hey Jo...
I am very fortunate to be able to count you as one of my special friends as well!

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!



Hey Dizzy...
Now that's a good reason to celebrate today! Happy Birthday AND Valentine's day!

Thanks for coming by today!

Practical Parsimony said...

Maybe you are not a recluse. I don't have anyone/special guy, so I just don't celebrate. I did buy some pink and white M&Ms.

A neighbor said everyone thought I was a recluse and a cat lady. He said no one ever saw me in the yard and just saw a dozen cats on the front porch. The problem was that no one of the neighbors never, ever even talked me.

I was working and attending school 50 miles away. There were many occasions and parties I went to in the town where I went to school. My social life did not happen here.

None of the cats were mine! Sometimes people make assumptions.

There is no need to stay busy all the time. All the times neighbors did not see me, I was in the back yard sitting in the swing, eating at the picnic table, and having a good time in nature.

I don't think being a recluse is a bad thing, being happy alone without being so busy.