Friday, June 6, 2014

A Little Garden Seed Mystery...!

Now, here is one for all the folks out there that like to garden. Call it a gardening mystery, if you will!

We all know that good seeds are sometimes hard to find, right? Imagine if a large quantity of usable seeds just rained down on your house. That would certainly seem to be strange, don't you think? Well, here is the story from the folks over at Listverse!

Rain of Seeds
February 1979



Roland Moody of Southampton, England, was startled to hear small, solid objects hitting the glass roof of the conservatory attached to his house. The objects turned out to be hundreds of seeds—small mustard seeds and cress seeds coated in a jelly-like substance. More seeds continued to fall during the day, eventually covering his garden. One of his neighbors, Mrs. Stockley, told Moody she’d had a similar experience the previous year.

The following day, Moody’s home was struck by corn, pea, and bean seeds that seemed to simply fall out of the sky. His neighbors on both sides were also pelted with peas and beans. Only those three houses in the neighborhood were targeted for the bizarre showers of seeds, and a police investigation was unable to pinpoint a source.

The phenomena gradually decreased and went away. By that time, Moody and his neighbors had endured twenty-five separate barrages and collected ten pounds of beans from their gardens. Moody himself gathered eight buckets of cress seeds. He claimed the produce grown from the seeds was good quality. Both Moody and Stockley were interviewed for Arthur C. Clarke’s Mysterious World television series in 1980. To date, no adequate explanation for the weird showers has been found.

Now you have to admit that all this is rather strange. I'm not sure if I would want to eat anything that grew from those mysterious seeds, but it couldn't be much worse than some of the trash being sold in a few of the big name stores, could it?

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Keep an eye out for falling seeds, OK?

12 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Very strange - don't think I would eat anything grown from them unless they were tested first. I'll bring a big box of Dunkin's for all.

Anonymous said...

I remember when we could read aboutb it in our papers, very interesting!

Personally I'm, waiting for a shower of money to fall down on my property, I'm afraid I'll have to wait for a very long time :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Mamahen said...

Wow...I too would be very reluctant to eat the friut of those seeds...I'm on my way... save me a donut :))

linda m said...

I agree with everyone - don't know if I would trust a seed from an unknown source. Now if it wants to rain money I'll take it no matter where it comes from. Save me a spot on the swing. Have a great weekend.

texasann said...

Bubba -
I'll eat whatever grows from those seeds! Sounds like a gift from God to me. However it got there, I would still consider it a gift ~ or at least I think so. I probably would not recognize the seeds, especially for something like cress ;)
Big Hugs -

Dizzy-Dick said...

I don't see any problem with eating what ever grew from those seeds as long as it was recognizable and something that I knew was food. I quit gardening long ago. But when I did, I had a huge garden.

Rob said...

Amazing responses!
I can't eat this ear of corn, I don't where the seed it grew from came from....

"D-day".... 70 years ago today

HermitJim said...

Hey Phyllis...
Donuts are always welcome!

I do wonder just where the seeds came from.

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Christer...
If you start getting a shower of money, let me know. I'll be moving to Sweden if that happens!

Thanks for coming by today!



Hey Mamahen...
The temptation to eat the harvest of the seeds would be great, but testing it first would seem to be called for!

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Linda M...
Guess we could pick a volunteer and have them eat it, then watch what happens!

I'm with you on the money thing.

Thanks for coming over today!



Hey Sis...
Maybe it would be like the manna from heaven in the bible.

It would be nice to have some of those seeds to experiment with!

Thanks for dropping by today!



Hey Dizzy...
Who knows...might just be some good stuff.

Thanks for coming over this morning!



Hey Rob...
I reckon if we got hungry enough, we would all try it, no matter where it came from!

Thanks for the visit today!

JO said...

WOW I would have them tested too. Then plant and eat the rewards.

Is there any coffee left?

Sixbears said...

With the warm weather finally here and my wife gardening like crazy, it feels like it's raining seeds.

Coffee on the deck for me today.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
Might save you a trip to the garden center or to Wal=Mart.

Thanks, sweetie, for coming over today!



Hey Sixbears...
I'll bet that it does! Making up for lost time, I reckon!

Thanks for coming by today!

deb harvey said...

hi. daddy, born 1911, said that it once rained frogs in lincoln county, W. Va.
don't know if he saw it personally or was remembrances of the older folks.

it has been said that tornadoes will pick up a pond and its contents and the winds in the upper atmosphere carry it far away where it falls as the winds lessen. doesn't have to be where the tornado was originally.
don't know where a tornado would get just garden seeds, though.
deb h.