Thursday, January 15, 2015

Late Post This Morning...!

I have no excuse for being late. To tell the truth, I didn't check and see if my post had gone through or not like I always do,and that's because I had failed to post one at all! Old age will do that, I guess!

Anyway, better late than never, I reckon! Here is a little bit of information that might surprise you!

Elmer Fudd/Robert Ripley


Photo credit: Warner Brothers, Heritage-Americana

Elmer Fudd, the slow-witted foil for Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, did not get his start as a comic book character but as regular in Warner Brothers Looney Tunes cartoons. Beginning in 1941, however, Dell began publishing Warner’s cartoon characters, including Elmer, in comics.

When Warner Brothers purchased the Vitagraph Company along with the Brooklyn Vitaphone Studios in 1925, they began to produce “talkies,” the first of which was 1927′s Jazz Singer, the first full-length movie with synchronized dialogue. Over the next three years, Warner Brothers produced hundreds of experimental short films called “Vitaphone Varieties,” featuring vaudeville acts, comedians, and singers. In 1930, Warner Brothers offered Robert Ripley, creator of “Ripley’s Believe it or Not,” a contract to produce 10-minute shorts.

Ripley was already a popular icon. His newspaper cartoon strips were syndicated around the world, and his first best seller had been published in 1929, followed by a radio program in 1930. But his Vitaphone shorts became a sensation, and Warner Brothers agreed to more, beginning a long, lucrative relationship between them.

The video and radio programs revealed Ripley’s speech impediment. His teeth protruded so significantly that he couldn’t completely shut his mouth. Despite speech lessons, his b’s came out as v’s, and he lisped his s’s. Perhaps because of his impediment, Ripley came off as shy, only making him more endearing.

It was for that reason that when Warner Brothers Looney Tunes introduced a character based on Ripley, they gave him a stuttering speech impediment. The character had a large, egg-shaped head that mimicked Ripley’s famous noggin. He was even named Egghead. In the 1939 Tex Avery cartoon Believe It or Else, several sequences appear reminiscent of Ripley’s Vitaphone shorts, with a buck-toothed, Egghead skeptical of every claim. He even wore spats and a loud suit, Ripley’s signature look. Later, Egghead would be renamed Elmer Fudd.

Ya know, getting old ain't for the timid and that's the truth! Seems like I sometimes get so much on my plate that my mind sorta shuts down Ever happen to you? I'll try and do better!

Coffee in the kitchen this morning. They say it's supposed to be sunny, but I don't see any sign of the Sun!

5 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Interesting story, Mr. Hermit I remember the comic strip Ripley's Believe it or Not. Not to worry about your mind shutting down - sometime I can't even find my plate!

Mamahen said...

Loved learning more about the history of one of our faves .....and the age n memory thing......puts you right there with the rest of us....hope the rest of your day is great :))

JO said...

Was happy to see you posted as I checked back again. Very interesting history of Ripely.

Don't fret about not remembering. Yesterday I went to the bank and added the last of my monthly payments to auto pay can't remember sh__. Heading out in the morning for a camping trip but I'm sure I'll stop by before I go.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Welcome to the crowd. Why just the day before yesterday, I forget to post and I thought that I did.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Welcome to the crowd. Why just the day before yesterday, I forget to post and I thought that I did.