Thursday, January 5, 2017

Divorce In The Colonies...!

According to an article from history.com, the first divorce was granted way back in 1643.

Not generally something you would read about in the history books, but never-the-less...it happened. Here is the short history behind it.

1643
First divorce in the colonies

In the first record of a legal divorce in the American colonies, Anne Clarke of the Massachusetts Bay Colony is granted a divorce from her absent and adulterous husband, Denis Clarke, by the Quarter Court of Boston, Massachusetts. In a signed and sealed affidavit presented to John Winthrop Jr., the son of the colony’s founder, Denis Clarke admitted to abandoning his wife, with whom he had two children, for another woman, with whom he had another two children. He also stated his refusal to return to his original wife, thus giving the Puritan court no option but to punish Clarke and grant a divorce to his wife, Anne.

The Quarter Court’s final decision read: “Anne Clarke, beeing deserted by Denis Clarke hir husband, and hee refusing to accompany with hir, she is graunted to bee divorced.”

Now I don't know if they had such a thing as child support back then, but one could only hope that the man in question be held to provide some kind of aid to his original children. I reckon that with his history, that would be a pretty slim chance, though.

Coffee in the kitchen again this morning. Still cold out on the patio.

6 comments:

linda m said...

I highly doubt that he payed a penny in child support. I have no respect for a man that just walks out on his family. Since it is a minus 7 wind chill here this morning coffee in the kitchen sounds really good to me. I'll bring some fresh baked bread along with me.

Momlady said...

Linda, I don't know where you are but I'm glad I'm not there. Getting cold here, too. Fresh baked bread sounds lovely. How 'bout some strawberry preserves to go with? Coffee in the kitchen sounds good to me. Cozy.

Sixbears said...

Got the coffee pot on the woodstove. It's the only way to face winter.

Looks like it took a pretty extreme case to get a divorce. My lovely wife says she doesn't believe in divorce . . . she believes in murder. :)

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

I agree with all y'all! And Sixbear's lovely wife, too. Coffee in the kitchen with my big brother and friends - doesn't get much better than this, except when freshly baked bread is included ~ See you there!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
He certainly didn't deserve it, that's for sure!
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Momlady...
Wow...way too cold for me! Cozy in the kitchen is a good thing, especially with Bread from Linda and strawberry preserves from Momlady! Pig out time!!
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Sixbears...
I'd sure stay on the wife's good side, I think.
Sounds like you have this whole Winter thing figured out just right!
Thanks for coming over this morning!


Hey Sis...
Now all we need is some fresh baked cookies to top it off! Peanut butter is good, ya know ?
Sis, I hope you have a great birthday today! Exactly when did you start getting older?
Thanks for the visit today!