Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Beautiful But Closed Forever...!

Seems like a shame to have something so pleasing to look at closed and listed as unsafe, don't you think? That's the case with this subway station in New York.

Abandoned Subway Station


9-city-hall-subway-station
 
Photo credit: weburbanist.com
 
Imagine arriving at a station and slowing down but never actually grinding to a halt to let people off. This is exactly the case for City Hall subway station in New York City. Built in 1904 with the sole purpose of being the glamorous station for the city’s brand-new subway system, it was designed to attract people into the subway type of transportation with its beauty.

It worked for a while. Over time, however, the severe lack of passengers and redesigned trains that made the station unsafe ultimately rendered it unsuitable for use. Thankfully, due to its beautiful look and the potential renovation cost, the city decided to leave the station there.

At the end of 1945, it was closed forever. Today, although deemed unsafe to get off at the station, the No. 6 train always passes slowly through City Hall station and takes passengers back in time to witness the beauty of this regal station.

I'd like to actually see this place, but I don't want to go to New York city to do so. Guess I'll just have to pass!

Coffee out on the patio this morning, providing you don't mind the 85 degree temps.

6 comments:

Momlady said...

Been there, done that. New York City is just too frenetic for me. People rushing, rushing everywhere. And, believe me, you don't want to drive through it. I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to live there!

linda m said...

What a beautiful "station". Sadly I'll never get to see it. I've been to NYC twice in my life and I hope I never have to go there again. Yes, it is an exciting place with tons of things to see and do. The museums are incredible. However, number of the people overwhelms me. And since I am claustrophobic the people and buildings throw me into a panic.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
I can't even imagine living there, or even going for a visit. Too many people for me.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Linda...
I can certainly understand that. Heck, I don't even like to go to downtown Houston!
Thanks for coming by today!

JO said...

What a shame to not be able to experience this beautiful station. If trains can still go through it I wonder what makes it unsafe. But I have been to NYC and like the others her I have no desire to ever go there again.

Had one heck of a storm come through here during the night the winds howled around the house and the rain came in buckets. And your 85 degrees sounds a lot better than 48 here.

Terry said...

My wife went to St. Petersburg Russia with her mother in 1996 and was amazed at the subway stations. See:
http://russia-insider.com/en/culture/2014/11/22/03-52-49am/subway_stations_st_petersburg_russia_are_amazing

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
We had some pretty strong winds here two days ago. Broke trees in half and even took down a light pole (metal) at the grocery store. More on the way tomorrow, I hear.
I agree...it's a shame we can't take a look safely at how pretty it is!
Thanks for coming over today, dear!


Hey Terry...
Thanks for the links to the pics of the stations in Russia. They are amazing, for sure!
Thanks also, for coming by today!