Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Can You Name This Fruit...?

What I am about to show you is from a list of strange and uncommon (at least here) fruits. I wanted to share this with you as I had never seen it before and thought it was pretty nice!

Myrciaria cauliflora



Jabuticaba, or the Brazilian grape tree, is a very strange plant native to the South Eastern parts of Brazil. What makes this plant so strange is that it fruits from its trunk. No, I did not make that up, and no the picture has not been photo shopped. Initially, yellowish white flowers will appear all over the trunk and main branches, these flowers will then turn into fruit, about 3 – 4cm in diameter. Inside the thick purple skin is the soft gelatinous flesh of the fruit, along with 1 – 4 black seeds. The fruit is sweet and can be eaten as is or made into a wine or liqueur. Unfortunately, the fruit does not keep long when off the tree and will start to ferment after about 3 or 4 days. I believe this would be a fascinating tree to have in the yard, but I'll bet I couldn't get it to grow. Isn't that always how it goes?

If you want to see some more strange and marvelous fruit plants, you can find the at Listverse, with pictures of the fruit.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. High of 84 or so is predicted.

5 comments:

linda m said...

At first glance I thought there was a fungus on the tree. That is so bizarre the way the fruit grows. Since I don't have a green thumb I doubt I could get that tree to grow either. Sure would cause a stir in my neighborhood tho.

Momlady said...

Weird.

JO said...

The fruit sure looks good, I have given up totally on growing anything I have one succulent left in my yard. But I sure can produce some great weeds.

It seems much cooler at your place so patio it is.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Looks great to me, Bubba. I'd love to have one!
Bug hugs ~

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
Looks cool, doesn't it? Certainly would cause a stir.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Momlady...
Which is why I want one for my yard!
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Jo...
Know what you mean about growing some great weeds. Seems to be all that I can grow lately.
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by!


Hey Sis...
Now maybe you could get it to grow. You are pretty good with that stuff.
Thanks for the visit, sis!