Monday, April 10, 2017

Musical Mystery For Monday...!



Ever wonder why some folks are considered mysterious? This story might explain a lot and at the same time cause us to wonder about the source of his talent.

Giuseppe Tartini

4
 
Photo credit: Wikimedia
 
Giuseppe Tartini is the musician on this list that only expert violinists will know. He was born 1692 in the Venetian republic and was the first known owner of one of the famous Stradivariuses. In 1765, just a few years before his death, Tartini had a dream in which he met the devil. The devil played him a piece on the violin, and Tartini, after waking up, tried to write it down. 

The Violin Sonata in G minor or “The Devil’s Sonata” became one of his most famous works. It is such a complicated and difficult piece that people in his time murmured that Tartini must have six fingers to be able to play it. (It was also rumored that everyone who played the complete piece would inevitably lose his soul to the devil. Would you try it? Find the sheets here).

Like all artist, many musicians are sometimes surrounded by an air of mystery . Just part of the whole package, I suppose.

Coffee out on the patio again, OK?

6 comments:

linda m said...

Very interesting article; I never heard of him. But then again I don't a musical piece either. After reading this article I don't think I want to learn to play the violin. Coffee on the patio sounds great.

HermitJim said...

Hey Linda...
The only instrument I can play right now is the harmonica, although in my younger days I played the violin. I was in the Houston Youth Symphony at that time, as was my younger sister B.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!

JO said...

Never heard this before, but I'm not into that kind of music either. Still interesting enough.
Now the harmonica I love to hear my dad could play and so could my late hubby. The fact that you and sis played in the Houston Youth Symphony you both must be very good.

See you on the patio looks like it might be another nice day.

HermitJim said...

Hey Jo...
That was a long time ago, I'm afraid. To tell the truth, I never was very good at it.
Thanks, sweetie, for dropping by today!

Unknown said...

As you know I brought my violin back from Houston. It has been repaired and I am trying to learn to play a little again. I think I will pass on his music for now as I seem more than able to generate my own bad luck. Someday I will tell your faithful followers just how good you really were and are musically.

HermitJim said...

Hey Sis...
I'm glad you are getting back into re-learning to play. The girls will be impressed to say the least!
Thanks so much, B, for stopping by tonight!