Saturday, April 15, 2017

What Are Nouns Of Association...?

Simply put, they are words that describe groups of similar objects...like a Litter of kittens. There may be a few that you don't know, so I'm gonna point them out to you. How's that?

1. A clowder of cats

2. A parenthesis of cellists

3. A coalition of cheetahs

4. A shock of corn (with stalks included)

5. A brace of dogs (2 dogs) 

6. A leap of leopards

7. A coterie of Orchids

8. A dray of squirrels

9. A midden of shells

10. A murder of crows

11. A thought of barons

12. A knot of toads

13. A parliament of owls

14. A covey of quail

15. A passel of piglets

16. A rascal of boys

17. A rafter of turkeys

18. A skein of geese (in flight)

19. A shrewdness of apes

20. A cete of badgers


Most of these I didn't know myself, but you may have. After all, I don't know everything...no matter how I act sometimes.

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Alright with you?

9 comments:

Momlady said...

I knew a few. Now I'll know more. Thanks!

Sixbears said...

Don't forget: a murder of crows.


How about we start a new one: a corruption of Congressmen!

JO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JO said...

Lets try this again. I've learned something new hear this morning now lets see if I remember them.

Like yesterday calling that Instant Pot something different. I'd love to sit on the patio.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Try something fun and make up a few on your own.
Thanks for stopping by today!


Hey Sixbears...
Already had it at #10, but thanks for the suggestion for the congressmen. Makes sense to me.
Thanks for coming over today!


Hey Jo...
People might look at you a little funny when you first start using some of these, but that's OK. Makes it more fun.
Thanks for dropping by today, sweetie!

Caddie said...

I'm ashamed of Me. 2 out of 20 - never heard of most. A case of 'plumb pitiful' ignorance. A "gaggle of geese" is another - walking gooseS. I enjoyed this, Hermit. Thank you.

HermitJim said...

Hey Caddie...
Don't feel too bad. I didn't know most of them until I found this list.
Thanks for the visit today!

Gorges Smythe said...

I think there is also a "span" (pair) of oxen and a "congress" of baboons (or is it chimpanzees).

Unknown said...

I did not know most of these. Another example of your limitless knowledge. I did like Sixbears suggestion.