Friday, May 11, 2018

Geckos For Freaky Friday...!

Here is a good question for ya. How can a Gecko walk up a wall so easily? Actually this explanation is the best that I could find. The folks over at Listverse solved this mystery for me.

Geckos And Power Adhesive


Admit it: At some point in your life, you’ve been a bit jealous that geckos can effortlessly walk up walls. The mystery of the wall-climbing lizard has puzzled observers for millennia. It was finally solved in 2002, when researchers discovered millions of tiny hairs on the gecko’s feet called setae. The setae help to produce weak, short-range electrostatic forces called van der Waal’s forces.

While there have been many proposed applications for this feat of nature, one in particular has been successful in its own right: a product called Geckskin. Three enterprising graduates from the University of Massachusetts Amherst created this reusable super adhesive inspired by the mechanics of gecko feet. The sticky material can hold up to 317 kilograms (700 lb) on a smooth wall. Since its debut, Geckskin has won accolades from organizations and news outlets including CNN, Bloomberg, and The Guardian (the last of which referred to it as “flypaper for elephants”).

Although I have no idea what I would use it for, I would love to have some of this "Geckskin" handy. Surely I could find some use for it, ya know?

Coffee out on the patio this morning. Summer is starting to set in.

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Wow that's some strong stuff. I'm not sure why I would ever want to climb a wall since I stumble on flat ground lol, but it might be interesting to see another person it. I'll bring some strawberries for short cakes this morning if anyone would like some:))

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

I know I'd like to have some of that stuff, Bubba. Keep me from having to repair so many tiny holes in the wall from changing my mind while hanging pictures. And just for fun, right?

Big hugs ~

linda m said...

Sounds like it could prove helpful for us folks that seem to be getting shorter each year. Maybe I could be able to finally clean some cobwebs from the ceiling. I know I sure would love some strawberries, Mamhen. Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

Momlady said...

Bet it could be useful in putting pictures on the wall, maybe. How long does the sticky last I wonder.

HermitJim said...

Hey Mamahen...
Strawberries sure sounds good this morning.
Thanks for stopping by this morning!


Hey Sis,,,
Now that you mention it, the stuff might be fun to have around.
I appreciate you coming over today!


Hey Linda...
I sure fall into that category.
Thanks for the visit this morning!


Hey Momlady...
I really don't know how long it last or stays sticky...sorry.
Thanks for stopping by today!


JO said...

I would love to have some of that stuff to hang pictures also. I finally started using the velcro things since I also move pictures around.

Yes summer is setting in here to but early morning patio sitting is still wonderful.